“A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
Every year your mom insists that she doesn’t want anything for Mother’s Day, but even if she is telling the truth and not just playing coy, don’t you think she deserves a little something nice?
Mother’s Day 2013 is Sunday, May 12. Check out our tips below for suggestions for what to get for Mother’s Day and what Mother’s Day activities to partake in.
TREAT HER TO A SPA DAY
After 18+ years of taking care of you, don’t you think Mom deserves some relaxation and pampering? Take her to this oft-tried and oft-enjoyed Mother’s Day activity at one of these spas in the Phoenix area:
- Willow Stream Spa: 22 miles from Downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale’s newly redesigned Fairmont Scottsdale Resort Hotel has been going strong for 25 years. The resort’s Willow Stream Spa promises to relax, rejuvenate, and educate you and your mom with a “medically guided, personalized and full integrated wellness program.”
- Body Beautiful Med Spa & Day Spa: Has your mom been complaining about getting older? We’d love to guide her to the fountain of youth, but until we find it, Body Beautiful Med Spa & Day Spa will have to do. This spa’s anti-aging experts and aestheticians provide Botox, lip augmentation, derma fillers, and laser procedures in addition to more common spa services like waxing and massages. They also offer a host of Gentlemen’s Spa Services, which is ideal for the sons who might typically feel left out of this Mother’s Day activity.
- Dolce Salon & Spa: Dolce Salon & Spa is the largest full-service salon and day spa in North America and has three locations in Chandler, Scottsdale, and Peoria. Services include everything from manicures, massages, and waxing to spray tanning and event coordination for private parties.
If your mom is the artsy type and won’t mind getting a little messy, enjoy this unique Mother’s Day activity with her.
- The Brush Bar: At The Brush Bar, customers can enjoy a glass or bottle of wine before the class starts. Their Mother’s Day special classes are sold out, but you can call to be placed on the waiting list.
- VanGo Pottery: VanGo Pottery brings the pottery studio to you. The company travels throughout the Metropolitan Phoenix area and will set up a pottery painting experience whenever and wherever you want them to.
- As You Wish Pottery: If you’re a mom and would like to do something fun and creative with your toddler, check out As You Wish Poterry’s Mother’s Day Handpring Event. For just $25, you and your preschooler/toddler can work together to paint a Mother’s Day ceramic plate and enjoy some light refreshments.
Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but brunch has to be the most enjoyable. This Mother’s Day, treat your mother to a sweet and savory brunch at one of these local restaurants.
- Rio Mirage Café: With locations in Surprise, AZ and El Mirage, AZ, this Mexican restaurant aims to provide “high quality, the freshest ingredients, and excellent service” to their customers. Since 1999, Rio Mirage Café has been making good on their promises, and, because of this, it was voted Best Mexican Food Restaurant in the West Valley. They also provide catering services.
- Cork: This East Valley restaurant is run by husband-wife team Robert and Danielle Morris and Chef Brian Peterson. Cork boasts, a full bar, indoor and outdoor seating, and a 25-foot floor-to-ceiling wine wall. If for some reason that gigantic wine wall doesn’t impress you, maybe Cork’s accolades will: Every year since 2009, Cork has earned Wine Spectator’s Award of Excellence and was awarded 4 ½ stars by the Arizona Republic in 2008.
- Hillside Spot: Hillside Spot offers Ahwatukee residents “high quality food at a reasonable price” and is also dedicated to supporting local farms and producers including Cartel Coffee Labs, MJ’s Bakery, Maya’s Farms, Schreiner’s Sausage, Oak Creek, and Four Peaks Brewery.
GET HER SOMETHING AS SWEET AS SHE IS
If you have a Mother’s Day activity already planned but want to sweeten the pot a bit. Get cupcakes, cakes, chocolates, or other mouth-watering snacks from these bakeries.
- Barbs Bakery: This family-owned business has been in business for more than 30 years. During its almost four decades in business, Barb’s Bakery has been repeatedly voted “Best of Phoenix.” They make everything from traditional wedding cakes to Barbie-inspired birthday cakes and butterfly-shaped cookies.
- Essence Bakery: Essence Bakery in Tempe, AZ operates under the motto “Buy Locally. Eat Well. Preserve the Planet.” The environmentally friendly café offers delicious macaroons, croissants, and truffle cookies, among other pastries, and earned a 4 ½ star rating from the Arizona Republic.
- Something Sweet: This bakery in the Ahwatukee and Chandler area was actually inspired by a mom. On the website, the owner write, “I grew up in a wonderful Italian family of eleven. From the time I was little, I would watch my mom as she would spend hours in the kitchen making dinner to feed her very full table, but always saved time to make dessert. I learned back then that dessert wasn’t just something delicious to fill your tummy, it was like a big kiss from mom!”
If your mom really isn’t big on Mother’s Day, keep it simple and grab her a bouquet of flowers from these florists.
- McDonald Floral And Gift, Inc: McDonald Floral And Gifts, Inc. has been serving the Valley since 1917 and has floral arrangement for every occasion and for every budget. Just remember that they’re closed on Sundays, so you’ll have to pick up your Mother’s Day flowers the day before.
- PJ’s Flowers & Events: This award-winning Phoenix florist will craft the finest floral arrangements and gifts for your mom and deliver it to you as well. If money’s a little tight, check out how you can win free flowers from them here.
- Road Runner Florist & Basket Express: Pamela Smith founded Roadrunner Florist in Phoenix in 1979. In 2006, she received a plaque from the Society of American Florists to celebrate her 40+ years of service in the floral industry. Check out their suggestions for bouquets for mom here.
Need help getting to and from your Mother’s Day activities? Contact us.